Online vs. Offline/Online Mobile Apps
Determining whether your business requires the mobile application to be used even when the device is beyond wifi or cellular range, i.e. with no access to the internet, is an important decision.
For the purposes of this discussion, we will differentiate these two option as follows:
(1) Online/Connected Mode:
Online Mobile apps require internet connectivity when being used (typically via cellular, Wifi, or network).
- Online connected apps usually do not store information on the device since they are connected “live” in real-time to the main database or software application.
- One of the advantages of online apps it that information entered in the mobile device may be immediately available across the organization and is accessible by any location and any other mobile device user that has the permissions to see that information. In many cases, you may want the data submitted in the field to pass an approval process before making the information readily available.
- Any part of the entire NAV OGFS functionality can easily be accessed from:
- A Tablet Client which is installed on each device.
- Any internet browser
- The mobile device connects securely to Microsoft Dynamics NAV and our business add-ins with a SSL certificate. There is no need for a remote desktop or VPN to be configured.
- We can very quickly configure menus and screens with the online option, and thus it is available at a very low cost.
(2) Dual Offline/Online Mode:
These mobile apps can be used even when the devices are disconnected from the internet.
- The same information available in the online/connected mode described above is accessible on an offline iOS, Android, or Windows device or phone.
- The information is saved on the mobile device and then uploaded or synchronized with the main office when cellular or Internet service becomes available.
- Orders may be either initiated in the office and completed in the field, or initiated in the field and sent to the office
- We have developed multiple types of applications in dual offline/online mode and have created them so they are configurable and, for most users, will not require much additional development to be adapted to specific needs.
Back to main mobile app page